The Saints rightly considered themselves unlucky in leaving The Etihad empty handed on Wednesday evening. They had defended excellently throughout the contest and looked to have cliched a deserved 1-1 draw against Pep Guardiola’s rampant side.
However, in the final minute of stoppage time Raheem Sterling curled a shot from the edge of the box past Fraser Forster and Southampton were left with nothing to show for their efforts.
The defeat leaves the Saints eleventh in the table ahead of the derby. The Saints have taken 16 points from 14 games this season while the Cherries are in 15th place after claiming 14 points.
Eddie Howe’s side are only four points above the drop zone and defeat, coupled with results going against them on Saturday, could leave Bournemouth back in the relegation dogfight…something Southampton fans wouldn’t feel too bothered about.
Southampton Team News:
Southampton Recent Form:
- Manchester City 2-1 Southampton
- Southampton 4-1 Everton
- Liverpool 3-0 Southampton
- Southampton 0-1 Burnley
- Brighton & Hove Albion 1-1 Southampton
- Southampton 1-0 West Bromwich Albion
Southampton Key Stats:
- Southampton have had the most touches this season of any club out of the Premier League’s ‘big six’. (9,876).
- 66 per cent of Southampton’s shots on target this season have been directly down the middle of goal this term – one of the main reasons as to why they’ve struggled for goals.
Our unique algorithm has predicted the Southampton side it believes will start the game.
Football Whispers uses data to predict teams’ starting XIs, taking into account injuries, suspensions, the statistical likelihood of a player being selected, the competition the match is in, players’ previous performances and the opponent’s style.
And you can also give it a go yourself. Just click ‘create your own’ on the line-up at the top of the page and pick your ideal XI for the game.You can also see each player’s stats once you’ve selected them.
When you’re happy with your team, press confirm and you’ll be able to share it with your friends via social media.