However, even if a playoff competition to decide the second promotion spot happens, there are plenty of big issues for the National League to resolve before a ball can be kicked.
The coronavirus pandemic has ensured the remaining league matches won’t finish. Now it’s unclear how the fifth tier of English football can restart in time for the 2020/21 season.
- How to decide the league table
- Whether a playoff competition can be hosted – and how
- How will relegation and promotion from the National League work
- When does next season get underway
- Is it possible to play any/all of the 2020/21 season without fans
- Is there a safe way to get fans back into grounds
- Can the National League help clubs experience financial problems
- What obligations do the National League have to their players
- How does the National League fits into the evolving football landscape